1.04.2014

new




i woke up to 2014 in a studio apartment on the upper west side of new york city. i had spent my last night of 2013 standing in times square which was honestly quite miserable and a poetic end to the most dreary year i've lived yet.
not to be pessimistic.
the last five years have been full of tremendous ups and downs but this one left me in a state of anxious monotony. i like change. i'm good at it. i can get so restless with routine.
2013 did not give me adventure but it did give me foundation. it gave me an endurance for solitude. it brought many many goodbyes but also brought me a few but very important new friendships. it gave me direction and forced me to make choices. it gave me a new love for my family. it pulled me together, on the outside at least, even though i'm positive my heartstrings will always be a little bit tangled.
what i need now, this year, is feeling. i need to love until my heart bursts. i need to dance. i need to argue and stand up for my beliefs. i need to have the sweet luxury of kneeling on the floor to weep.
most of all i need to be on better terms with god. my biggest goal and greatest resolution is to be closer to him.

a few others:
-learn my family history. i feel the spirit and influence of my ancestors with me daily and i want to get to know them better.
-curate an exhibition of student artwork.
-explore the idea of stories and oral histories--what kind of project can i do with this?
-journal consistently about both my musings and revelations but also my daily events, a balance i rarely reach.
-put people first. no matter what.
-become a better photographer.
-focus more on wellness. work towards all natural beauty products, simple food, etc. i'm a bit of a granola at heart. also, learn tai-chi.
-unplug more often.
-become an amateur floral designer.
-know the galleries of DC's art museums like the back of my hand.
-talk to strangers.
-share my faith.
-practice my sense of wonder and attention to detail. catalog it.
-say many, many hellos.

1 comment:

Lys said...

I really like your goals. It feels weird to tell someone, "You have nice goals!" but it's just the truth.

For the stories goal...there's this storytelling thing that happens in Provo and now Salt Lake called The Porch (http://utahporch.org/); a student started it a while back in his free time, I believe, and now they have monthly story parties that are WONDERFUL. I have an informal fascination with storytellers, so I've gone a few times. I realize this doesn't help somebody who is in NY (congrats, by the way, that sounds like an incredible experience), but maybe there is something similar near you?? Or you can join the party when you get back to Utah :) Also, podcasts are like a secret world of stories which I have been meaning to explore, so you could go there for inspiration. I dunno. Anyways...

Love your blog, as always! Can't wait to hear more about your East coast adventures.